Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

The Hive and "the ladies" update...

 So I have been watching my over wintered hive closely because this is the time of year they like to swarm and upon an inspection I found swarm cells...
 with little baby queens in them, every last one of them. If you look closely you will see a baby queen surrounded by royal jelly. That is the substance they feed them to make a queen.

 This is just another shot of the queen. I moved the cell a bit to get a look inside and managed to rip it, they quickly began to tend her.
I find this very unacceptable when I am finding frames of brood that look like this through out the hive, so I made a split. I took the superseder queen cells, put them in a nuc box along with this frame of brood. Closed them up inside for a couple of days. I then also added a frame of honey I had left over from last year. After a few days I opened it up, installed a feeder onto the front and sat back and watched...update to come!

2 comments:

  1. I am up to three David and am working on the fourth for Robert!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lovely and healthy your hive looks. Hats off to you, I could never keep bees, far too scary! :D x

    ReplyDelete