Lovin' time at Coon Hollow Farm

Lovin' time at Coon Hollow Farm
Our Olde English "Babydoll" Sheep and their lambs

Friday, January 6, 2017

New Year, new ventures....

As we begin the New Year, I have some time during the winter to sit by the woods stove and get some projects done. I so love this time of year. So much peace as I sit here and watch the morning snow.
My first project of the year is making a colonial pocket. As some may know I love the colonial era, spend time as a reenactor and work as a docent in a colonial home teaching children about that time when things were just a little simpler, but everything they did was about survival. Above is some beautiful over dyed linen I picked up at a local textile sale. 

My husband gave me this kit last year. Basically woman wore a pocket that they would tie to their wastes. A slit would be in their pedicoats so they could access their pocket. 
.

I cut out a new pocket from the sample we got in the kit, front and back leaving about 1/2 inch for a seam allowance.

Women in that time would embroider beautiful flowers and designs on their pockets. The kit came with these wonderful transfers. I choose a wheat design as my center but will add lots of free formed designs as well. 

It's somewhat hard to see the outline on the brown linen but I got this. I haven't embroidered in years so I am looking forward to the challenge!
Happy New Year from Coon Hollow Farm! Challenge yourself this year to try something different!

1 comment: