Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Friday, January 6, 2017

New Year, new ventures....

As we begin the New Year, I have some time during the winter to sit by the woods stove and get some projects done. I so love this time of year. So much peace as I sit here and watch the morning snow.
My first project of the year is making a colonial pocket. As some may know I love the colonial era, spend time as a reenactor and work as a docent in a colonial home teaching children about that time when things were just a little simpler, but everything they did was about survival. Above is some beautiful over dyed linen I picked up at a local textile sale. 

My husband gave me this kit last year. Basically woman wore a pocket that they would tie to their wastes. A slit would be in their pedicoats so they could access their pocket. 
.

I cut out a new pocket from the sample we got in the kit, front and back leaving about 1/2 inch for a seam allowance.

Women in that time would embroider beautiful flowers and designs on their pockets. The kit came with these wonderful transfers. I choose a wheat design as my center but will add lots of free formed designs as well. 

It's somewhat hard to see the outline on the brown linen but I got this. I haven't embroidered in years so I am looking forward to the challenge!
Happy New Year from Coon Hollow Farm! Challenge yourself this year to try something different!

1 comment: