Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Sunday, April 29, 2018

A weekend of Fairs and Bees!

Our weekend at the Connecticut Sheep and Wool Festival was a successful one! The weather was amazing and the crowds were big! We had a very successful fair!

These were very popular and people bought a lot of kits! Guess what I will be making this summer?!

Our honeybees came in! We hived 3 packages this year. With our strong hive dying just a few weeks ago, we started all of them with drawn comb filled with honey.

That little tab lead to the queen. The can was sugar water that still had some food left.

Each queen cage was checked for the health of the queen. All were well and strong. The corked plug was removed to expose the sugar candy plug and they were inverted and startled over the frames so the bees could tend and feed her.

I did add the remainder of the sugar water can for them to finish.

When I hive, I add another body as not to crush the queen. Some think it is too much room. This has been my proven way to hive for a long time and it works for me. I will revisit them in a couple of days to check on the release of the queens. Fingers crossed for a great season!

No comments:

Post a Comment