Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Friday, August 23, 2019

Wildlife Woes

Animal husbandry cannot be easy without a few issues. We have a goldfish pond that provides water for our bees while the goldfish eat the mosquito larvae. It's a great little place where we will often have coffee in the morning. I went out a couple of days ago and my fish didn't come up to the top of the water. They were terrified by something, and then I saw these fresh wet prints pond side! The tracks of a Great Blue Heron I suspected!

We quickly placed a netting layer tight over the pond to protect of fish. 

This afternoon, I stepped out front just in time to see the biggest Great Blue Heron I have ever seen quickly take flight up and over the gate. Just look at the size of these tracks!  Autumn freaked out as well and it set off a two hour alarm call from the alpacas! I guess it could be worse, so we'll continue to fend off our goldfish hunter and hope for the best! 

No comments:

Post a Comment