Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Wednesday, October 6, 2021

A Dye Mistake or Not?



A couple of days ago I set out to dye some mohair that was gifted to me by a friend. On the left is some white and on the right is some black. My goal was to dye and white and over dye the black a deeper black, but there was just one thing...
The choice of dye! This result was from some black mohair that I was attempting to dye. My mistake was the dye I grabbed. Not looking completely at the label, I grabbed the black, the black reactive dye not the fast acid dye. There is a big difference! This fleece was meant to be a deep black but instead I got an eggplant color, a very dark eggplant color!
This fleece I got exactly what I was going for. This was a dye called Iris, a fast acid dye.
On the next attempt at black I used a black fast acid dye. My results were exactly what I was going for.
.

Acid dyes work well and are stable in hot water while reactive dyes are unstable in hot water. So the moral of the story here is, look at your labels to make sure you have the right dye, purchase the correct dye, but even the worse mistake equals a fleece that you can use anytime! I think the eggplant fleece will look good but I need to look at some colorways to match it up with a complimentary color! So the question is: A Dye mistake or not? Never! You can always use what you create in some way or another!
 

2 comments: