Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Wednesday, December 9, 2020

Extract Obsessed!

One of my favorite things to do is make my own extracts. Unlocking the secrets, realizing what junk we are buying at the stores and just knowing they are mine is the best way. I recently bought these jars from a man selling them on MarketPlace. I collect these whenever I can and store all my herbs in them. I knew what I had planned for these and went to work filling them. I had already made the extracts over time, but wanted to expand and get them into bigger jars. I have always made my own vanilla extracts as well as others but I decided to expand as holiday baking is coming up, also some will go on as gifts. 
Also as I looked through my cupboards at the ingredients of some of my store bought extracts and there were things added especially water! What kind of extract is that?! 
The sources on line are unending and so many resources as well as Facebook pages to join. I have also found that some extract people are intense and sometimes rude! Nothing like a know it all extractor!
Almond extract gets a bit tricky. While the almonds can have a cyanide precursor, 
using raw skinless almonds is best, however using cherry pits crushed along with apricot pits gives it a real nice flavor too!
One of my absolute, totally, unbelievably favorite extracts is Anise Extract! Just adding vodka and Star Anise pods, soaking for 2 months was amazing! I tasted a bit on my tongue and tasted like anise all day! 
After soaking for two months, I strained the anise, placed all new pods in the jar and poured the already extracted liquid onto the pods. I will let this sit another few weeks and bottle it just in time for holiday gifting!
               I'm in love with this little funnel, I use it for everything. It's just small enough to put a
 small piece of cheesecloth to strain out anything that I don't want in the bottles. 
    I also made Lemon Extract...
                                       and Orange Extract which will be amazing in whipped cream!


Peppermint Extract, a mixture of peppermint, spearmint, chocolate mint, apple mint and even some mojito mint for good measure! This I also did a couple of strainings and re-adding fresh mint.

And of course, Cinnamon extract! Just cinnamon sticks and vodka soaked for a couple of months. I just love everything about cinnamon! There are so many things you can do with cinnamon extract, put in coffee, add to hot chocolate and my favorite, add it to french toast batter before you dip the bread in! It makes your french toast taste incredible! My shelves are full of extracts as this has been this years obsession! What's a year of a Pandemic without obsessing about something?!


 

1 comment: