Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Monday, January 16, 2023

A Felting Challenge!



I was tasked with making a Baby Mobile for a special baby that is on the way. His Mom showed me a picture of what she wanted. Personally, I am not one for copying another artist's work, so I took on the task to give it a slightly different spin. The original piece was made with felt stuffed with fiber fill. The piece I would make would be needle felted with dyed merino wool. I would make Wool shaped beads instead of wooden ones. So, I went to work, first making a crescent moon for the center. 


It took no time to make the pieces that would make up the mobile.
Now to assemble the mobile and this is where I learned all about counterbalance. It took a while to figure out which would be the best way to assemble it. My choice was continuous strands. using dark blue to give it a nighttime feel.  Each piece added had to have a piece directly across to get a proper balance. I used an extra-long darning needle that helped to get through the thick felted wool. 
I used these jewelry eye pins to anchor the pieces. 
The finished piece! It challenged every bit of my creativity, but it came out not too bad! 
I hope the new Mom is pleased and it is just what she wanted. This will be our friends first Grandbaby and they are about to go on an incredible journey as Grandparents!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment