Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Sunday, April 26, 2020

Homemade Vanilla with a Twist

Trying to keep busy and not be sad about the current state of affairs is how I am handling things lately. Yesterday would have been the CT Sheep and Wool Festival which I worked half a year to get ready for. Not only the loss of income to run things around here, but missing the excitement of the Festival. 
So I turn my attention on to other things. Recently I went on a fact finding mission and visited a couple of establishments to check out their flavored infused bourbons. To my surprise there was quite a few of them, an overwhelming selection that had my knickers in a twist as to what ones I would choose to make some homemade vanilla. I choose the three above, Brown Sugar Bourbon, Walnut Toffee Bourbon and Honey Bourbon. 

I gathered everything I needed to get started. It's really easy and the real thing you need the most of is tincture of time. Your liquor of choice (Vodka or Bourbon is best), some vanilla beans (Grade B is fine), a container and go!

I really prefer these Ball Jars with the bale top. This is a 16 ounce one so I add about 7 vanilla beans, choice of bourbon and some time. You want to shake it or swirl it daily and give it a good couple of months to extract that pure vanilla flavor combined with your bourbon of choice. 

In the back is one I made a year ago from Vodka. Look at the brown intense color that has been extracted from the beans! When we get back to shows again we will have these available. I stopped selling Vanilla because of a spike in the price of the vanilla beans a couple of years ago which are back in the normal range again. I am so excited to have these available. So for now, something to look forward to as we all ride out these trying times! Get making some Vanilla and Get Back to Basics! You can view our Coon Hollow Farm YouTube Channel to see how it's done!

No comments:

Post a Comment