Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Early Bee Hive inspection


Yesterday I had the chance to open my overwintered hive that has had a lot of activity in it. I just can't get over how well this hive has done. They were working on a pollen patty that I put in there a few weeks ago...
 The candy board showed that they had consumed most of the "candy", which was such a positive sign. It seems that I had planned and done everything correctly, right down to proper ventilation to get them through the winter.
The sun was very bright and warm yesterday so the glare on this frame is bad but you can see how many bees there are and this was one of many frames that was loaded with bees...
This final frame reveals, after I smoked them to move, capped brood. While I was doing my inspection I actually saw a baby bee hatching but didn't have the camera handy to snap the shot! I could not find the queen but there is overwhelming evidence that she is there! They had full on honey reserves so all is well. I am hoping to get a split out of this one in a few weeks as long as the weather continues the way it is, looks like honey season may be early this year!

No comments:

Post a Comment