Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Monday, May 28, 2012

Incubating baby chicks, one week and counting!

    Two weeks ago, after a failed attempt, I loaded 25 Rhode Island eggs into the incubator. I now have the proper liner, two thermometers and a humidity gauge. My first failed attempt was the lack of participating people putting water into the incubator and "cooking" the eggs. My mom bought the incubator...
and I bought this rocker which gently turns the eggs 4 times a day. At the 18 day mark I will take out the rocker and place the eggs on the "O", marked on each egg. They have to be in the incubator for 21 days. The chicks should hatch in 7 more days. The eggs have the date, the number of the egg (up to 25) and an "X" on the other side to help me track them. I will also "candle" the eggs to see which ones have chicks growing in them. Our egg business is doing so well we need more chickens! We can't keep up with the demand and I have also promised some of the chicks to a friend. I will update in a week what our success was!

1 comment:

  1. what fun! we grew up with baby chicks hatching in the basement. loved all about it and the smell of the chicken barn now brings the memories all back. you have a great set up! i think my dads old wood one is still in their basement altho he doesnt hatch anymore a nearby friend does for him. enjoy your day!

    ReplyDelete