Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Tuesday, January 26, 2021

The Guardians of the Flock

    
 "Chester" a Golden Laced Wyandotte


 "Mr Copper" a Black Copper Maran
   "Mr Lavender" a Lavender Orphington
  
   "Henry" our White Leghorn, he may be the old man around here but he is still the boss!

Often roosters get a bad rap for their crowing, the roughness with the hens and often just being awnry! However they do their jobs well. They work hard to protect their girls and often will give their own lives to save a hen. I have seen a rooster fight off a hawk by leaping in the air with his spurs out and I have seen one stand down a fox. This is ingrained in their DNA and is their very purpose in life. Our boys protect about 50 hens here and they do a great job. They will sound an alarm if there is danger and Autumn and I will come running. I just don't know what I would do with out them around here! 

No comments:

Post a Comment