Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Sunday, April 11, 2021

Yo-Yo crazy!

I think in life, we should explore and learn everything that we can. Look at something that intrigues us and make a goal to learn it. For me, it was this. I have a yo-yo wall hanging and a yo-yo quilt at the end of my bed that my grandmother gave me. No one in my family knows where it came from. It's made from old vintage fabric, is queen bed sized and just beautiful! I have stared at these two things for years, curious at the technique, how did they do it and vowing someday I will figure it out!

My friend Naomi featured it on our Fiber Arts monthly Zoom meeting back in February and I was hooked! All I needed was the items in the picture above and I could get started! The yellow disc is a two part piece that you place the fabric in and stitch around, then pulling the thick thread to make the center pucker. In all I needed 120 to make my project!

You needed to cut the fabric and then bend the fabric inward and stitch around it The little grooves act as a spacer to get an even stitch. A fast and easy process. Many years ago women would cut cardboard or anything they could find for a template. These discs come in a set of different sizes.
I made mine of many shades of blue fabric I had left over from a former project, not knowing what or why I was making it, until I got a bridal invitation for a young woman who loves blue!
Once I got my 120 made, it was time to join the rows together! 
Stitch by stich, row by row...

until they were all join!

 My finished project! All hand stitched and ready for the bride to be! Now to get on to my next project!

No comments:

Post a Comment