Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Thursday, December 21, 2017

Candy Boards on the Winter Solstice

             For the past few years, I have brought my bees through the Winter by using the following techniques. I will share what I do. 
First you will need Candy Boards. My husband made these to fit on top of the feeder. There is about an inch and a half area that holds it up.


First you will need 5 pounds of sugar per hives.

16 ounces of water...

I add some Pollen Patties purchased at my local Agway.

Pour the water into a pot and bring to a boil...

Pour the 5 pounds of sugar into the boiling water and stir until dissolved. Bring it to 242 degrees. Let sit until it is 180 degrees. Then take a blender and mix until it begins to thicken. You can do this at short intervals as well.

Now pour quickly into the deep side of the candy boards and spread out.

Have your pollen patties cut into small pieces and work into the sugar as quick as you can.

Leaving the top feeder on, I fill each side with pine shavings generously.

Then invert the candy board on top of the feeder. The bees will come up the center and cluster, feeding on the candy board staying away from the condensation that will drip into the shavings.

The girls were curious and came to check out what I was doing.


The bee yard is put to bed for the Winter, just in time for the Winter Solstice. I hope this will help you as it has helped me. If you have any questions you can always leave a comment here or email us at CoonHollowFarm@aol.com.
Happy Winter as we dream for Spring to work with our girls again!

2 comments:

  1.  Da Fin. These swim fins are the Official Swim Fins of the United States Lifesaving Association because they deliver the ultimate comfort, power and style. These fins are also the official swim fins of the Hawaiian Lifeguard Association  Bonuses

    ReplyDelete