Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

The little hive that could...

Today I opened the little nuc hive from a couple weeks ago to see how it is getting along. The bees have been buzzing about and working their little hearts out. 
When I opened it and pulled out what appeared to be an active frame, I saw two queen cells. When I turned it over, 2 more queen cells! If you look closely the two "peanut" looking cells are baby queen cells. It takes 16 days for them to hatch, therefore it should be a couple of days. 
As I was looking and accessing the amount of bee ratio and additional brood that still need to hatch I thought they really needed a boost, so I went up to my big hive and went to retrieve a frame of brood. As I was looking thru the frames for the best one I came across this one that had a queen cell on it. It is not in the picture but it is at the bottom of the frame. I kicked all the bees off of it and brought it down to the nuc hive which I keep right by the front door so I can watch it. I am keeping my fingers crossed that this will be a successful hive!

No comments:

Post a Comment