Powered By Blogger

Our sign in peace

Our sign in peace
Our sign in peace

Friday, April 6, 2012

The making of a new Hive

On Wednesday of this week I traveled down to the Nature Center where I work and love, to check on our Observation hive. As I suspected  they were becoming completely over run so it was time to take some out, so I placed a few frames of bees and brood (baby bees) into a nuc box (pictured).
 I brought them home and set them up, locked inside for a couple of days. This morning I opened it up. This gives the bees a chance to realize that they don't have a queen, select a baby bee or two and make a new queen.
I gave them some sugar water in a feeder and also supplied a pollen patty. At first a couple of bees came out and started to eat. Even though I did provide them with some food inside they were hungry... 
and had to use the bathroom! If you look close see the yellow streaks? That is bee poop! They are so clean and will not use the bathroom in their own house! So I am keeping my fingers crossed that this works and we get a new hive from it!

No comments:

Post a Comment